Looking for an alternative to a traditional holiday mashed potatoes? While I love a savory and creamy, buttery mash, this Creamy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes recipe offers another option for your Thanksgiving or Christmas plating. These potatoes are layered with oh, so yum savory buttery goodness! This recipe is also perfect if you’re looking to cook a limited menu for a smaller group of people, or if you want or need to scale things back a bit.
- 3-4 Large potatoes, washed & sliced round
- Himalayan Pink Salt, pepper, garlic pepper, onion powder (optional)
- Kosher salt (for pinches)
- Butter (salted)
- Your cheese choice (it’s great with Parmesan)
- Milk (whole is best)
- Begin by slicing the potatoes and placing in a bowl.
- Season potatoes using 1/2 teaspoon of all spices listed above to gently coat them. Then toss.
- In a baking dish (I use a 5×8 sized dish), begin layering potatoes until the bottom of the baking dish is covered.
- Sprinkle potatoes with a small pinch of kosher salt, distribute a tablespoon of butter atop, and top with your cheese choice. I used Parmesan cheese for my dish.
- Add milk to cover this layer.
- Layer potatoes, salt, butter, cheese, and milk in the same manner until the dish is filled, making sure that the final layer of cheese is only slightly covered with milk.
- Place dish in the oven, and bake for one hour at 350-400 degrees.
If you’d like to cover your dish with foil for part of the time then remove, and if you’d like to add another layer of cheese to create a nice golden crust just before taking it out of the oven, then go for it!
Embrace God’s changes as He sets them before you, my friend, and I assure you that He will bring you new hope that lives again.
– Kaye Howard –